The Company was formed with the object of regulating the craft of stonemasonry so that standards could be properly maintained and rewarded. The earliest available records of regulation are dated 1356 and were issued by the Court of Aldermen of the City of London.
Grant of Arms
In 1472 a Grant of Arms was received under Letters Patent.
It was not until 1677 that the Company was formally incorporated by Royal Charter under the Seal of King Charles II giving it power to control the work of masons in the Cities of London and Westminster and seven miles there from.
About that time the controlling powers of the Company began to be eroded by the influx of provincial stonemasons required to assist with the rebuilding of London after the Great Fire of 1666.
However the Company through its members has been responsible over the years for the construction of a large number of notable buildings in stone, the most famous of which is probably St. Paul's Cathedral. Thomas and Edward Strong, both Masters of the Company, were the senior stonemasons, together with other prominent members of the Company, under Sir Christopher Wren.